The safety of the Network Rail workforce, contractors, the travelling public and the wider community is extremely important because at DATS we recognise that Drug & Alcohol misuse affects an individual's innate ability to work safely, is inimical to high standards necessarily expected and puts lives at risk. DATS works with Employers / QSHE Managers / HR professionals and Sponsors to prevent and detect substance and alcohol misuse in the workplace.
APPROVED NETWORK RAIL SUPPLIER FOR DRUG & ALCOHOL TESTING
SENTINEL COMPETENCE [NR/L2/OHS/050]
With Link-up approval, North East based DATS is endorsed and authorised to carry out Drug & Alcohol testing for [a] individuals applying for [or renewing] their Sentinel Competence, [b] Personal Track Safety [a competency required by individuals who go on or near the line as defined in NR/L2/CTM/021 and GE/RT8000] and [c] safety critical work [Railways and other Guided Transport Systems (Safety) Regulations 2006]. All our testing is designed to deliver compliance with the requirements of the Transport & Works Act 1992, Network Rail's Health & Safety Management System and Railway Group Standard GE/RT 8070 Drugs and Alcohol.
CHAIN OF CUSTODY DRUG TESTING
A DATS, we ensure that a strict and well established chain of custody collection ensures a process to maintain and document the chronological history of a Drugs and Alcohol sample in order to guarantee the identity and integrity of the sample from collection through to reporting of the test results and one which leads to a legally defensible report.
WHAT WE TEST FOR
In addition to alcohol, banned substances which are subject to screening are:
- MDMA (Ecstacy)
SCOPE & TECHNICAL DATA
As an approved Rail Track medical service provider to undertake Drug & Alcohol testing in areas including Middlesbrough / Teesside / Hartlepool / Sunderland / Newcastle upon Tyne / County Durham / North Yorkshire & South Yorkshire [and being listed on the Approved Network Rail Supplier Register] DATS is authorised to conduct Drug & Alcohol testing:
- Pre-employment - [NR/L2/OHS/00120] pre-appointment and periodic testing for Drugs and Alcohol.
- Random - [NR/L2/OHS/00118] random testing for Drugs and Alcohol.
- For Cause - [NR/L2/OHS/00119] for cause testing for Drugs and Alcohol. Where there are grounds to suspect that an employee [or contractor] is unfit through drugs or alcohol following accidents or serious incidents or where a credible report or 'tip off' relating to a group of workers or a work location has been divulged and / or where there is evidence of drugs and alcohol consumption found on a work site within Network Rail premises.
- Periodic - as part of a periodic or routine age related medical examination.
- Pre-appointment - promotion or on first transfer to a post which requires the holder to be qualified in Network Rail competences such as Personal Track Safety [or] is designated as a Safety Critical Work post (this shall additionally include all cases where the donor has a new sponsor and where the donor has a valid Competence Specific Medical Fitness Assessment certificate but requires proof that a Drug & Alcohol test has been passed within the last 12 months).
GENERAL REQUIREMENTS FOR THE COMPETENCE OF TESTING AND CALIBRATION LABORATORIES
Our specialist Toxicology Laboratories are Link-up approved and hold national and international accreditations including UKAS ISO/IEC 17025:2005. Methods of analysing samples include Gas Chromatography and Mass Spectrometry (GC-MS) [a technique used to identify and accurately measure the concentration or their metabolites present in the sample] and our expert scientists isolate, identify and quantify toxic substances through planning and carrying out of laboratory tests.
MEDICAL REVIEW OFFICERS [MRO's]
Our expert MRO's are also Link-up approved and authorised to:
Make sound judgements on the clinical need for the quantity of a substance found in the Laboratory Analysis of a sample [and] give appropriate advice to Network Rail on the implications for the fitness for work where a drug screen result is negative on the basis of legitimate medication.
DRUG & ALCOHOL TESTING THROUGHOUT ENGLAND / SCOTLAND AND WALES
Whilst DATS is predominantly focussed in the North of England, Drug & Alcohol testing is now undertaken throughout the United Kingdom, Scotland and Wales.